Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Being Who You Are

Sometimes things keep dropping on your head, and finally, you just have to pay attention! The last few days I have been getting the same message over and over. Essentially, it is to be who I am. And to trust my judgement. I've seen several blogs talking about having a theme for the year, so I have decided this is to be my theme for 2009. I'm hoping that this is the year I become comfortable with my own style and follow my instincts. Especially in the art world. I can't even begin to say how many times I've thought about an idea, or abandoned it half finished because I just didn't think it was good enough, only to see it turn up later and be wildly successful for someone else. Does this happen to everyone? So this year I am really looking for and listening to the signs! Here's a couple of quotes that I've just noticed in the last few days: "Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
- Howard Thurman. This was mentioned in a newsletter I received from Sally Evans.
An email from my dearest friend, Fleur, basically told me the same thing. I can also count on her to cheer me up when I'm feeling whiny. She reminded me to do my own thing, and not worry about what was popular, or what I thought people might want.
And then I found this quote, which I had written in a notebook eons ago: "Often people attempt to live their lives backwards; they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want." (Margaret Young). Another thing: Just when I was thinking that I need to be really specific about my style, and what I want to do, and that I really, really should make an inspiration or vision board--I picked up a magazine, and it naturally opened to a page about inspiration boards!! See, I think it's time to listen.
I got a wonderful surprise from my SilverBella friend, Jodie, of everything vintage. Look here, and you will see she mentions mine as one of the blogs she finds inspiring! And, oh, the company she puts me with. I was thrilled. Jodie is very helpful by keeping me blogging. I tend to get discouraged and lazy when I think no one ever comes to visit.
No pictures, I'm afraid. I think my monitor has died. Anyway something is not working, so I'm on the laptop with no pictures, for now.

9 comments:

  1. Morning Sandi! Beautiful post! I am sure many other bloggers stop by and visit but without leaving comments...I call them lurkers and you gotta love them too because if they keep coming back as I do, that only means you are one inspiring Gypsy! Be you, that's why I am here!!!!
    Have a great Thursday!
    Love ya
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes.............everyone goes through that. Your room is a dream!!!!!!WOW.........I hope you are thinking of doing an inspiration board. I found you through Jodie's blog. I think it is great to see other Artists do something that has been swimming in my brain, it just shows visually what has inspired them. too. It's nice to know people out there like the same things we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandi,

    Isn't it funny that it is so hard for most of us be ourselves -- something that should be so easy? Good for you for setting such an 'authentic' goal for yourself -- I'm with you!

    Georganna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi, Hi! I have to totally agree. One of my goals this year is to Be Real. True to myself. I always look at others work and think, I wish that was my style or ,that is so much better. I think we are so critical of ourselves because we fear putting ourselves out there for rejection. Just remember, other people are feeling the same way. This year we need to be who we are and delight in those who "get' us. Look at all the various styles at Silver Bella, they were all incredible in their own ways.(P.S. I'm still waiting for you to sell one of those felted button bracelets.) Have an artful day, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your posts, Sandi. I just never thought to leave comments, so here's one. Keep up the good work... I'm reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your craft room. Where oh where did you find all the lovely drawers (Sorry "compartment" junkie talking)? Yeah I believe in being yourself and really admire people who know who they are. I don't know but my problem is I want to do it all! I love looking at all the ideas people post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:45 PM

    Great post! Being authentic is about freedom from fear, isn't it? I did an altered book with inspiring quotes in it, and "read" it often.

    Blessings ~ Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sandi,
    Thanks for visiting me, I am a bit of a gypsy myself. Had quite a surprise with them in Paris.
    Anyway, send your address to me, aloha Lilla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandi, this post was inspiring! thank you.

    ReplyDelete