Tuesday, August 31, 2010

These Things I've Learned

1. Writing helps, but I don't want cute. Journaling the angry helpless moments is good. Scrapbooking this journey is something I can do without. The pink ribbon section in my scrapbook store stopped and stunned me. The last thing I want to see is a pink calendar counting off the days of radiation. 
2. And speaking of radiation, it is not like a very bad sunburn. It is like a very, very bad radiation burn.
3. Never start a new job that involves lots of lifting, and turning, and reaching, and bending, when you are enduring the effects of Rule No. 2. A new job during this time was probably a bad idea anyway, but I'm glad I wasn't afraid to try.
4. I'm not as confident as I used to be. I think that comes from the whole body betrayal thing.
5. Sometimes the most help comes when you least expect it. My immediate family and friends have been wonderful, but I knew thay would be, and I treasure them all the more for it. Other family members, not so much. And this was a sad surprise.  But people I hardly know, people I've met through the internet, strangers, yet friends, who have offered words of comfort, have been a tremendous support. The world is full of giving, caring people. And I am grateful. And I am going to take care to pass some of that along.
And that's all I'm going to say about that.