Tuesday, August 31, 2010

These Things I've Learned

1. Writing helps, but I don't want cute. Journaling the angry helpless moments is good. Scrapbooking this journey is something I can do without. The pink ribbon section in my scrapbook store stopped and stunned me. The last thing I want to see is a pink calendar counting off the days of radiation. 
2. And speaking of radiation, it is not like a very bad sunburn. It is like a very, very bad radiation burn.
3. Never start a new job that involves lots of lifting, and turning, and reaching, and bending, when you are enduring the effects of Rule No. 2. A new job during this time was probably a bad idea anyway, but I'm glad I wasn't afraid to try.
4. I'm not as confident as I used to be. I think that comes from the whole body betrayal thing.
5. Sometimes the most help comes when you least expect it. My immediate family and friends have been wonderful, but I knew thay would be, and I treasure them all the more for it. Other family members, not so much. And this was a sad surprise.  But people I hardly know, people I've met through the internet, strangers, yet friends, who have offered words of comfort, have been a tremendous support. The world is full of giving, caring people. And I am grateful. And I am going to take care to pass some of that along.
And that's all I'm going to say about that.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:49 AM

    Oh Sweetie..... I did the whole breast cancer surgeries & radiation thing the early part of this summer. Yep, you are right it ain't no sunburn... that is unless you are a few feet from the sun!
    Creams & lotions help but only time will heal & it takes awhile. It won't heal overnight!
    My prayers for your recovery!
    Love,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Sandi!
    My mom had bad burns and they had her keep it open to the air as much as possible. (I didn't want to tell you that in case it didn't happen to you!)
    Make sure you are giving yourself little rewards for going thru all of this. You reaaaallllly deserve it! I like magazines, lighting candles, visiting blogs, coffee.
    The new job will be good, a new start after all that you have been thru! Big Hugs! karen....
    ps...I am having fun thinking and gathering and making goodies for you!

    ReplyDelete