Friday, May 08, 2015

Reading Through England

 If you know anything about me at all, then you know that I have an obsession with the printed word. I have always  loved books, even if just to look at them. I just got back from a wonderful trip to The Cotwolds and Norfolk, England. All of these ended up in my very heavy suitcase on the way home.

 One of my favorite things about England is that they decorate with books. This was in a hotel window. Have to get one! Nearly everywhere I went, there were books. Most pubs and restaurants and hotels and even shops have old books even when they aren't for sale.
 And this is wallpaper in an attic tearoom. What's not to love?
 This is the best garden shop ever in Burford.  An archway of books leading to the children's room.
 More of the garden shop. There are many more cupboards and shelves filling this room with vintage books. It also has several tables, in case you want to have breakfast, lunch, or just a cup of tea.
 One of my favorite concepts-hats and books at The Mad Hatter bookshop. (I was a milliner one day a week in my past life at Living History Farms, you know)
 Another way to decorate with books. It seems that everywhere I went there were things on books.
Every National Trust home has a bookstore with used books for sale. These can range from a few shelves in the corner to this library sized building in one of my favorite places, Blickley Hall.
 This was my favorite old book store. It's called The Brazen Head Bookshop in Burnham Market in Norfolk. Feeling pretty brazen myself, I would have married the elderly man who was proprietor just to stay there. I know, there is a name for women like me. There were rooms and rooms of books, upstairs and down. My friends probably could have left me there, but there are some advantages to being the driver!




1 comment:

  1. What could be finer than a country that has books everywhere you go.
    O, my you did bring home a motherlode of books. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete