Sunday, January 10, 2010

Another Employment Adventure

Here's a picture of our Iowa Capitol building. It was started in 1871 and finished in 1886 and is a beautiful building. Beginning tomorrow, I'll be spending a lot of time there for the next three months. I'm going to be working at the switchboard for the 2010 Legislative session. Behind the scenes, yes, but I think I will really enjoy it. (Because of budget cuts, I will only be employed at Living History Farms for six months a year from now on. That would be lovely if I were independently wealthy or a lottery winner, but no such luck.)
Since I've spent most of my recent years living in the past, a suitable wardrobe is a bit of a problem. I'm really not used to dressing for business, wearing make-up, and leaving the house, oh, so very early in the mornings. It will be good for me, I'm sure.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know there were still switchboard operators. How cool! The wardrobe thing is a problem, though...happy shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity! Getting dressed up and having to look pretty might just be addictive! :) Of course I quickly broke the habit when I no longer HAD to be presentable all the time.
    Anyway...it sounds like a fun and very interesting job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from another gypsy at heart! This sounds really facinating.. and what a beautiful historic building! Best of luck in your endeavours, and if it's any consolation, I'm living proof that you can still work the 9-5 and keep that gypsy soul alive!

    Blessings,
    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working in the capitol building should be fun! Good luck!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete