Sunday, August 14, 2011

Penny For My Thoughts


I've been looking for something crafty to do-something which only takes a part of my brain, and this is what I have come up with--Penny rugs--a nineteenth century applique technique using wool. This looks big, but is actually a small mug mat. Now I'm in the process of making a table runner. I just ordered some wool pieces from etsy, so I am waiting until they come before I progress much farther. I did buy a yard of white wool with a coupon (50% off) and have been dying little pieces of it. Wool is very expensive, so this is a good way to get a variety of solid colors.

I have also been working on some memorial pieces as Christmas gifts. Well, not so much working on them as thinking about them. I call them "Grief Goods". Maybe there's a market. Baby steps.

It's been six weeks now that I have been alone. It does not get easier. Of course, I already knew that. I don't know what the future will bring. Right now I am just getting through the days. And the nights.

3 comments:

  1. I love the penny rug. I have never herad of them before, but they look like fun to make. Hugs Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:29 PM

    I'm glad to see you back posting and doing something to keep busy. I know you have to go through what you have to go through. It takes time and you should take all the time you need, as long as it's not too long.

    I know the above sounds like nonsense but there's some gem in there somewhere.

    Hope to see you over at my blog sometime. Miss you, babe. And know, you are loved.

    Enjoy always, T

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that crafting the penny rugs will bring you some measure of comfort and distraction, however small.

    ReplyDelete