Friday, December 28, 2007

The Stockings Were Hung

Well, they were....But Christmas has come and gone, and truly was Christmas in a Hurry. We had a lovely time. It was our turn to host the family, and our little house was overflowing with people. Lots of stockings as you can see. The bag is a German Christmas custom, although we aren't German. I bought it years and years ago from a favorite mail order company called Gerlachs of Lecha in Pennsylvania. I have no idea whether they are still around or not. I couldn't find anything about them. They published several books about traditions and holidays, and carried wonderful crafts supplies. Sigh. A little trip down memory lane.
Anyway, I use the bag for the grandchildren now, because I've run out of stockings! I hang up eleven of them now. Christmas stockings have always been an important part of the holiday for me.

2 comments:

  1. I also used to order Christmas goodies from Gerlachs of Lecha in the 1980s. However, I think Sylvia Gerlach died of cancer quite a few years back, and the family run importing business ended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading about them in a PA magazine, 1980's. Made a call and drove over to the shop in Emmaus, PA. Both were so knowledgeable and pleasant to talk to. Still have some sun catchers and Christmas ornaments purchased from the shop. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete