Monday, October 15, 2018

Revisiting the Past


This is the Flynn Mansion at Living History Farms. It was built in 1870 by a railroad contractor and was a very modern house at the time. Hot and cold running water! Indoor bathrooms! Gas lighting! I was privileged to work here as Supervisor for several years, and often thought that being an historic interpreter was the best job in all the world. I miss it.
During my time as "Mrs. Flynn", I studied Victorian crafts, housekeeping,and manners and morals. I know a bit about such topics as proper wardrobes, tea parties, etiquette, setting a table, cooking and baking on a woodstove, managing servants, and many kinds of needlework.
There was a time when I could tell you the high points of decorating. I used to call this the fruit, flowers, fringe, feathers, fur, and fainting couches tour.
I knew Queen Victoria's Secrets.
I could make a hat, starting from a buckram foundation, and finishing with the trimmings. I knew exactly what a lady would keep in her reticule.
I knew the proper games for boys and girls.
I could send messages with a bouquet of flowers, or a fan.
And I could make jewelry from hair.
I recently went back for an afternoon and demonstrated hairwork. Although most jewelry was made with human hair, we use horsehair to show the procedure. We can buy it, cleaned and ready to use. (Disclaimer: No animals were harmed during this process.)
Hairwork was very common from the seventeenth through the nineteenth century. It was at a height of popularity during the Civil War. A sentimental lady could weave lengths of her hair to make a watch chain. Whenever her beau would look at his pocket watch, he would be reminded of his sweetheart at home.

The table is used to make the chain. A pattern is laid on top of the table, and the strands of hair are twisted to form the braid. The book on the parlor table is a reproduction of "The Art of Hairwork", written by Mark Campbell, and first published in 1867. It has instructions for a table, many patterns, and was also a catalog of jewelry that could be ordered.
At one time I collected jewelry. Here are pictures of the pieces that I have. The chain is for a pocket watch. Most of the other pieces are brooches. These are beautiful gold pins with compartments to hold a tiny bit of hair. The hair was often made into small flowers, braids, or curls. Many of these were mourning pieces, with names and dates engraved on the back. Some are reversible. It was possible to show the contents, or to wear it with the precious memory close to one's heart. Hair jewelry was a very sentimental decoration, and the pieces were treasured.
                                   
 Hairwork flowers are made with knitting needles. You may have seen these formed into a wreath or other design. This one is always on display at Flynn. Many shapes of flowers can be made from a basic gimp, which is formed over the needles, and secured with a thin wire. Wreaths were often formed in an open, horseshoe shape. This meant it was a friendship wreath, made from hair collected from friends and family members. When the circle was closed, it was a memorial wreath.

Here are some of the many flowers that can be made. Beads and tiny artificial leaves can be added for color. The song  is from the nineteenth century.
When I demonstrate hairwork, it is one craft that is very high on the "Ick" scale. Today, many people think this is just a little too unusual. I have often seen visitors jump backwards when I explain what I am doing! And yet, these same people are often the ones to tell me that of course they saved their babies' curls!                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment