Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Fun Times at Home



We are living in a different world than we expected, aren't we? Our state, Iowa, isn't under an official "shelter in place" order, but of course nearly every one is doing just that.  Even though we have been staying in for over a week, it seems like much longer. 
My last big outing was to the grocery store, with one quick trip to Menard's. I am starting to notice how often I usually leave the house. Normally I do go to work at least two or three times a week, but not now. I don't usually think of myself as a shopper, but do like to go to a bookstore, library, and craftshop more often than I realized. Those are my "happy places." I like to wander around and get inspired. I'm pretty sure I like these stores because the clerks, though friendly, are usually unlikely to chat. I am not much of a chatterer. That is actually helping me now. John and I are used to living a pretty quiet life, so all this isn't as big a change for us as for many. Luckily, we don't have to worry about a big change in income, since we are mostly retired. The biggest difference for us is that we are no longer going out to dinner several times a week. We received a lot of restaurant gift cards for our wedding five months ago, and have been using them quite steadily. I've made no secret of being a begin-again cook. I realize that I have had several years of snacking instead of cooking!  It still surprises me that my new husband likes to eat dinner every night. He is a very good sport about it all, and he really isn't a very adventurous diner. This is probably good for me, because I do not like long and complicated recipes. I have discovered that I don't like to spend more time with food prep than it takes to eat the finished dish. I do spend a lot of time looking at recipes, just because I enjoy it. I'm not sure if it means anything though. I also like to spend a lot of time reading diet books.


I need to show our new whirligig. It's a bi-plane, and was adorably rusty when we bought it. I am attracted to men who like to paint purposely rusted yard ornaments. Years ago, I came home from work one day and Jim had painted all my yard art glossy white. John painted this one red, white, and blue. We found a Snoopy on a shelf, who fits almost perfectly. (He did have to have surgery on one leg) He still needs a goggle and helmet to be a proper Red Baron, but I did knit him a red scarf. When the wind blows, the plane flies, the propeller twirls, and the scarf blows. It is pretty cute, even if it isn't what I would have thought to be my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment