Tuesday, June 09, 2020

No Name Cottage

My little workshop/getaway/sewing room/writer's studio/ creative place to dream and play/magical cottage is almost all put together now. There are only a few things left to do. Pictures still need to be hung. And there are a couple of shelves that I want to fill.
Here is the outside now. Geraniums are growing in the window boxes and herbs are in the wagon. We will paint the front door black to match the rest of the buildings. More landscaping will happen eventually. And as soon as I can commit to a name I will have a cottage sign above the door. John wants to name it "No More Cloudy Days" Cottage, but I think the name should be shorter. But that name means a lot to both of us, and was our wedding song. (Sung by the Eagles) When we first started seeing each other, we had both lived through a lot of storms and were happy to have sunshine in our lives. I am thinking Sunshine Cottage, or Sunrise, Sunlit or Sunlight. I'm just worried it sounds too much like a motel or nursing home! Unofficially, I think it will just be the cottage. But I want a sign!
                                                       
       Step inside and you will see everything at once because I have an open concept just like the decorating shows. Actually, it's because it measures 8 feet by 14 feet. Just inside the door is a small wooden chest with several drawers. One of the first things you will notice is all the fabric! I love this print, and don't think I could ever have too much of it. I hadn't planned to have the curtained alcoves, but they are perfect for storage. They hide and disguise several totes of fabric and craft supplies. (I have written before about my fascination with tension curtain rods. So many uses!)  The cupboard is an old computer desk and holds my sewing machine. Don't look too closely at the curtains. At this point they are only basted. I am still decorating with the stacked to the ceiling look.


Next is a comfy little chair located by the bookcases. Right now I spend a lot of time sitting here and admiring the room. There are a couple of antique suitcases next to the chair.

Here are some close up pictures of some of the treasures I am putting back on the shelves. I'm not done yet as I am still unpacking boxes that have spent a long time in storage. I can see an empty shelf, and I know that never happens. I will be moving things around for a while, but at least now I finally know what I want to keep and what isn't necessary anymore.



The desk was the only thing I didn't have previously. I found it a few days ago at an antique mall. It was just the right size, though not my usual style. I am drawn to the battered and chippy. This is much more elegant, but it works in my little cottage. I think it will be the perfect place for writing. I feel organized again. Well, maybe not organized, but on the way. In a few weeks, I am going to set up a booth at that mall, and finally work on letting go of extra things that I have been holding onto and keeping in storage for too long.  I am finally feeling more settled and it is a good feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Sandi: Your new cottage looks lovely! So happy for you - it must be wonderful to have all your treasures out where you can admire them - mine are stuck away in drawers,the shed & closets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honk you should paint the door Geranium red!! Your cottage is lovely!

    ReplyDelete