Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Yesterday and Tomorrow

Mostly Empty Shelves Wherever I Shop

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I thought that if we all just stayed home for two or three weeks, then the world would go back to normal. Well, that didn't happen, did it? The world nearly stopped for several weeks, and many did stay home. Those were the rules, but not everyone is a rule follower. Our lives didn't change that much at first, because we don't go out a lot. I never dreamed that I would have to wait so long to see our children and grands. Since I didn't feel comfortable working at the funeral home, I decided to take time off, by choice. Because of that, I'm not eligible for unemployment. Luckily, that is part time, and not a necessary income.  And I practically stopped shopping. We ordered groceries online a few times, but decided that shopping for ourselves was better than having others shopping for us. I will probably never use all of the gallon of Crisco oil that was sent as a substitution. If I order online again, I will be sure to check the "Do Not Substitute" box! I ended up with some things I never ordered. We have been to Menard's a few times. I am pretty comfortable there because masks are required. Yesterday I finally went to the fabric store and Barnes and Noble. It was very disappointing. I should have waited a little longer. Everything has been rearranged and many shelves are half empty. I think a lot of magazines have suspended publication for a while. I used to like to wander around and browse and look at things and ponder life when I shopped. Now it has become a lesson in efficiency to finish quickly.
I see more anger all around. I am just about to give up on Facebook groups, since most of the ones I'm in are erupting daily in squabbles and nastiness. Administrators keep reminding members of the rules, and eliminating posts. Some have even closed down. Coincidence? I don't think so.
And now,  nearly all summer activities have been suspended, or postponed, or cancelled completely.  Since the Iowa State Fair has recently been cancelled, we will not have the three Brafford lemonade and hot dog stands in August this year. That will make a big difference to us and to the employees! It is both a relief and a disappointment. 
Some of our children have been able to work at home, so that has been fortunate. We have several in various aspects of the restaurant business, so that has not.  Two of my children have been exposed to Covid 19 at work and had to be tested. My daughter-in-law works in a hospital in contact with infected patients, and looks like she is dressed for battle everyday at her job.
And in the midst of all this, I don't mean to ignore the tension and riots that are happening every day in our city, and country, and world. I remember the marches and the powerful speeches from the 1960's. I thought the world would have changed for the better by now. 
Every morning for months I have listened to the news and waited for the numbers. I deeply believe this virus is a serious happening and that it is everyone's responsibility to treat it as such. As time goes on, I think that many have decided they are done with it and no longer believe in taking it seriously. We are moving on, and reopening places that will need to be closed again. This isn't over just because we want it to be.


2 comments:

  1. I live in a very badly affected area of England and we are now waiting for another huge spike. I agree with you that it isn't over just because we want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sandi well said! We have not been very active since the covid 19 started......only necessary needs. Wearing a mask is a priorty with us at all times when out! It will definately be a while till normal returns.
    Stay safe!!! Hug's, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete